Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Interesting finds


Last night Bob and I got to work on the things that needs to be done in our new house before we can move in.  To our amazement, we found a couple of very interesting things behind the attic walls... 
The first was this bottle of camphorated oil.  It was actually behind the walls sitting on the original framework of the house.  The label says that it came from a local pharmacy of the time in Champaign called Watson Faulkner.  It was used to treat symptoms like rashes and sore nipples (it actually says that!).



The second, which was a little scary, was this nest/hive that was also behind the attic walls.  The entire nest was about 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide and had been built all around one of the attic windows.  Long since dormant - THANK GOODNESS - rows and rows of some bugs house were intricately built here.  Bob thinks it was bees and my guess was wasps.  Either way, lots of bugs lived here once and spent a lot of time building a giant house for themselves.  I have no idea how old this, but I have to admit that I was terrified that a swarm of wasps was going to attack us both.  Not quite the kind of character and charm I was expecting. :)  You can believe that Bob will be the one removing this, not me.
  

Any experts out there know what may have built this?  



1 comment:

  1. Clearly, The Littles made that nest. It isn't dormant, they just only come out at night to do good deeds and maybe steal Winston's fod.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers (even the anonymous ones)... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...